Edmonton Community Foundation: Hilltop House
Hilltop House, now the home of Edmonton Community Foundation, was built in 1913 by John Charles McDougall and his wife Sophie. John C. is the eldest son of John Alexander McDougall, a founding father of Edmonton. John A. was a fur trader, owner of the McDougall and Secord general store, twice Mayor of the town of Edmonton (1893, 1896), and a Member of the Legislative Assembly (1909).
John C. took over his father’s business at the age of 16 and was an avid photographer, pilot, and adventurer. The family had a great deal of wealth and influence in Edmonton at that time.
Edmonton Community Foundation, as caretaker of the home the McDougall family built, understands that we enjoy the beauty of the home that was built on Treaty 6 territory. Edmonton was built by trading with, but often not acting in the best interest of, the Indigenous people who resided here first. We also acknowledge that these actions likely assisted in building of this historical home.
An important step in reconciliation is the acknowledgment of traditional treaty land and recognition for people of the territory who have been, and continue to be, affected by colonialization. We acknowledge that we live work and play in Treaty 6 territory: a traditional meeting ground, lands, and home for many Indigenous Peoples, including Cree, Saulteaux, Niisitapi (Blackfoot), Métis, and Nakota Sioux. We understand that we are beneficiaries in peace and friendship of this Treaty.